Enlarge your field of vision. Increase your depth of field. Bring religion and science, two of humankind’s most powerful sources of illumination, into the scope of your research, teaching, ministry, and practice. Gain insight and find perspective on your “big picture” with religion and science studies at ZCRS and LSTC.
- Focus your MA or MDiv studies at the Lutheran School of Theology at Chicago with the Study Emphasis in Religion and Science offered by the Zygon Center for Religion and Science. The Study Emphasis is open to all students in the two-year MA programs (MATS for theological studies and MAM for ministry) and in the three-year MDiv program.
- Clarify and develop your scholarly interests through LSTC’s ThM or PhD programs with a specialization in religion and science. The Zygon Center is widely respected in the field and LSTC’s advanced degrees offer excellent preparation for research, teaching, and publishing.
“I felt free to craft an individualized, interdisciplinary mix of courses and fieldwork that prepared me for teaching and research as well as ministry.”
Highlight your coursework with:
- The Epic of Creation: Scientific, Biblical, and Theological Perspectives on Our Origins
- The Future of Creation: Foundations for a Just and Sustainable World
- The Advanced Seminar in Religion and Science (with new topics each year)
- and other courses available through the University of Chicago and the eleven seminaries of the Association of Chicago Theological Schools.
Reflect on your learning for the Study Emphasis through fieldwork and projects.
“The Zygon Center and LSTC connected me with people who share my passions and gave me the tools to pursue my ideas.”
Fulfill the Study Emphasis fieldwork with individualized goals such as:
- presenting at an academic conference
- teaching classes in a faith community
- working in a laboratory or field setting
Complete the Study Emphasis project by:
- Writing a thesis or project paper
- Presenting your project to the Religion and Science Student Society
- Completing a concluding evaluation with the Study Emphasis director
Gain perspective on your work with support from faculty mentors. The Zygon Center has a growing network of affiliated faculty in the natural and social sciences as well as in theology, philosophy, ethics, and religious studies. If you have a passion for a particular topic, we may have an expert who can guide you.
Dr. Lea F. Schweitz, Director of the Zygon Center and Assistant Professor of Systematic Theology/Religion and Science at LSTC, directs the Study Emphasis and advises doctoral students.
Connect with a diverse community of fellow students, scientists, and scholars in religion and science through our research conferences, our student society for networking and professional development, and our annual symposium highlighting students as emerging scholars.
“I met new friends and future colleagues from all over the country and worked with leading thinkers in the area.”
- Explore cutting-edge research topics.
- Engage firsthand with distinguished scientists, scholars, and practitioners.
Religion and Science Student Society
- Network with graduate students from schools throughout the Chicago area.
- Develop your own research ideas in a constructive, collegial forum.
- Interact with visiting scholars.
Student Symposium on Science and Spirituality
- Present your work to a large audience of faculty and graduate students.
- Publish and win prizes for top papers.